- 1/2 a Kabocha squash, sliced in wedges
- 1 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 3-5 TBPS olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth, or broth of your choice. Dashi works too!
- A sprig of rosemary or thyme
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Line a baking sheet (I used a silpat) and throw on your veggies. Generously lather your veggies with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Roast them in the oven for 10 minutes. Flip over the Kabocha squash slices and continue for another 10 minutes. The onions should brown slightly and the squash should be fork-able.
- While veggies are roasting, in a medium sized pot, bring your broth to a simmer.
- Once your veggies are cooked, slice away the Kabocha squash rind (optional, rind is nutritious and edible). Add your veggies to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add whatever herbs you’re using.
- Let soup cool and blend with an immersion blender or a regular blender. Be careful not to blend your sprig of rosemary, if using. Other dried herbs are fine.
- Serve with warm, thick slices of bread.